The eco-friendly option for a greener home
Earth Day is right around the corner, and we want to celebrate it by highlighting cork flooring - the eco-friendly flooring option! Cork is a natural, sustainable, and renewable material that is harvested from the bark of the Cork Oak Tree, and done so without harming it - the bark grows back every few years!
As a building material, cork has very little negative impact on the environment. For starters, the harvesting practices are sustainable. A Cork tree must be at least 25 years old before the bark can be harvested, and harvested by hand, not machine. Once the bark has been harvested, every 8 to 14 years the bark can be harvested again without harming the tree. Cork trees themselves have a very long lifespan of around 300 years and they are not cut down for harvesting. Only the outer bark is removed on a rotational basis and the laws protecting these trees and their natural habitats are highly restrictive.
***BONUS sustainability fact: The manufacturing process for cork flooring generates almost no waste!
What are the benefits?
The benefits of cork flooring are endless, however we did narrow it down to our top favourite benefits. They include:
- Waterproof: Wet mop approved and fit for any room in the home, including kitchens and bathrooms.
- Healthy: Cork is naturally resistant to mould, mildew and termites. It's also anti-microbial. Cork flooring does not shed microfibers that negatively affect indoor air quality and keeps your floor 99% cleaner between cleanings, 24/7.
- Durable: When properly maintained, cork flooring can last 40 years or more. Quick and easy to repair single damaged planks and with the proper maintenance, can even outlast their owner.
- Comfortable: Cork keeps your home warm as it is naturally thermal, while reducing the transfer of noise with its natural insulating properties. It naturally cushions your steps by lightly compressing at the cellular level to support your footsteps and cradles your foot by absorbing the shock of each step.
- Hypoallergenic: Creates a clean environment where placed. Cork can alleviate dust and allergens that stimulate asthma attacks and allergic reactions to environmental triggers.
Flooring Trends 2023
Now that the days are getting longer and the snow has started melting, it’s time to take a look at what flooring trends are in the forecast for 2023.
Flooring And Allergens – A Quick Guide
We all love our fur-friends. Our pets are a part of our family. However, with them comes a host of airborne allergens which can become trapped in...